Care for Your Air: How to Improve the Air Quality in Your Home
May 03, 2018
Do you or your family suffer from seasonal allergies? Do you experience symptoms similar to the common cold more regularly than you’d like? The EPA states that indoor air quality (IAQ) is often 5x more polluted than outdoors, and sometimes up to 100x more!
IAQ is an ever-emerging topic with homeowners as we all want to make our homes a healthier place to live. After all, we spend as much as 90% of our days inside! So whether you struggle with seasonal allergies, never-ending cold symptoms, or just want to freshen the air you breathe, here are some great products which can be added to most any existing HVAC system in your home.
- High Efficient Filter- $-$$ The main purpose of the air filter as it relates to your HVAC system is to protect your equipment from dirt and debris. But as the desire for better air quality has increased, so has the effectiveness and efficiency of these air filters. The most basic upgrade is replacing your existing filter with one that has a higher MERV rating. The higher the MERV rating, the smaller the particles of dirt which your filter can catch. You may even decide to upgrade your air filter system altogether with a high efficient 4” media filter. A media filter is up to 85% more effective at capturing the dirt in your home and can last up to a year before needing to be replaced. An even more efficient upgrade is installing an electronic air cleaner which combines a media filter with an electrostatic charge to make dirt cling to the filter for the best air quality your HVAC system can provide.
- Air Ionizer- $$ Ionization is a process which breaks down air particles at the molecular level. It destroys airborne pathogens like mold, viruses, and bacteria into benign particles which your air filter can then more easily grab. Most of these products will deodorize as well. Air ionizers are a type of reactive product which will not prevent certain pathogens like mold, but they will treat the air and kill mold when it’s present. These products are a great, affordable option to better air quality in your home and can be added to most any existing HVAC system.
- Whole Home Ventilation- $$ One of the easiest ways to increase the quality of your home’s air is to bring in fresh air from outside, but simply opening a door or window isn’t always the optimal solution. A whole home ventilator will bring in fresh air to your HVAC system which can then filter and condition that air and circulate it throughout your home. The system has a control that allows you to choose how often you want to bring in fresh air and will also prevent its operation on the nastiest days of the year. This is an ideal choice for newer homes which are constructed much tighter than older ones.
- UV Bulbs- $$$ Ultraviolet bulbs emit UV-C light which breaks down airborne pathogens like viruses, bacteria, and microorganisms at the cellular level. Their job is to disinfect the air while also disinfecting your HVAC equipment because they are installed near the indoor A/C coil which prevents the growth of mold. The bulbs are a great fit for HVAC systems installed in unconditioned spaces where mold grows commonly, like attics and crawl spaces. UV bulbs are a proactive approach to killing microbes at the source while sanitizing the air.
- Air Scrubber Plus- $$$$ The Air Scrubber Plus ™ uses patented technology to destroy pathogens like VOCs, viruses, microbes, and bacteria while deodorizing. It kills 99.9% of harmful contaminants in your home and was created by NASA for use in the International Space Station. This technology even has the ability to clean the surfaces the air touches which means countertops, door handles, and even bathrooms are being sanitized anytime the fan is running on your HVAC system. Did we mention it also makes your existing filter 50x more efficient? This is the ultimate product to keep your home clean, fresh, and sanitized at all times!